Wednesday, September 22, 2004

a life full of little things

I consider myself to be among the luckiest people in the world.

For some reason, thank goodness, I absolutely DELIGHT in the little things in life. That "unbridled joy" you read about? I've got some of it. I get positively overcome with happiness at random times, due to wonderful little tiny things that I see or experience.

For example, I have discovered Turkey Jerky. And that in and of itself is the root of much recent happiness, as one could imagine, but it goes further than that.

My husband was on his way home from somewhere the other night and called me from his cell phone.

He said, "guess what I've got in my hand right now." (You nasties can cut that out right now. This is not a phone sex story.)

I said, "a cell phone!"

He said, "yes. but in my other hand-- guess."

"Don't know. What?"

"TURKEY JERKY. Four packs."

My heart absolutely filled with joy! Not just because Turkey Jerky was now in my near future, but because I have actually married a man who knows how happy it would make me to KNOW that I had Turkey Jerky in my future. I mean, I would be completely thrilled if he just walked in the door with even one piece of jerky, and he knows it. But what he also knows is how to make it even more fun for me, and that is to call me and tell me about it. Does it get any better? If it does, I don't know if I will be able to handle it!

I think I constantly, unknowingly make a choice as to what will affect me and my outlook. I mean, I've had a migraine every day except for three days since mid-May. And sure- it sucks. BUT, upon reflection, I have realized that I don't allow myself to give it (or any other negative aspect of my life) much weight, in terms of how my days go. Things like getting my Us Weekly in the mail every Friday like clockwork make me happy. Watching my pets sleeping, all cuddled up with us on the bed, warms my heart. Making Brian laugh tickles me beyond words. A good twist on any given reality show makes me howl in my guilty pleasure. Finding good green grapes at Harris Teeter- love it. Setting out my store's waterbowl for all the neighborhood dogs. Good lord, I could just go on for days.

My point is that any one of these little things are more wonderful than my worst headache is painful. And that is how I'm living.

I love my life.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I'm so jealous. How can I teach myself to do that.
I have had such a yucky day (tears and all) and I read this and feel guilty because I have way too much to be thankful for.

You are amazing.

Miss Demon Seed said...

Have I told you lately that I love you. If I haven't then I am not doing my job. Knowing you is enough to make me happy. You are awe inspiring. Please don't ever change.