Monday, September 20, 2004

under the influence

I watch Oprah.

I watch because I am stirred by people who believe in true spirit, and the pursuit of knowing that core of themselves. Oprah gets that. And is able to spread that true wealth (yes, literally and figuratively) to millions of people-- millions of Women People, especially-- every weekday.

Today she paid tribute to Mattie J. T. Stepanek, a real-live angel who died at almost 14 years-old on June 22nd of a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. I had watched Mattie's appearances on the show since he first came on at age ten. He called himself a Peacemaker, and was just that-- with every cell in his body. He believed in love and miracles and hope, and spread his message, packed with wisdom, to as many people as possible via Oprah and several bestselling books containing his "heartsongs." I wept on June 22nd when I heard the news of his passing, and I wept again today while watching her say goodbye to this precious boy. He was the embodiment of faith, courage, and god's intentions. Jimmy Carter and Oprah spoke at his funeral, where he was given a fireman's burial attended by over a thousand people. His optimistic philosophy influenced me-- inspired me to be a better person. And if I had to point to something and say, "that's what I believe in," he'd be the target of my aim.

I feel blessed today, because Mattie Stepanek touched my life.
http://www.mattieonline.com


2 comments:

Miss Demon Seed said...

I don't get to watch Oprah because of my work schedule but I did read a very uplifting story about Mattie Stepanek in People magazine. Thanks for the reminder kimmyD.

Gel said...

Oprah rocks! I watch for the same reason you do. Just saw your blog today and don't see any recent posts. Hope you're ok?