Tuesday, September 14, 2004

socksRus Has Been Closed, Due to Lack of Interest

I figured out awhile back, after years of denial, that I have what I will call "codependent tendencies," especially in dealing with my family. They're nuts, I'm not, right? It's not a new story. But I have been doing a bunch of work on myself to set up (and enforce) boundaries and what-not. (BTW, what is what-not?) It's going well.

So anyway, the other day I was talking to my husband about how I was feeling (after some Dramarama or another with the fam) about the realization that I don't have to fix *any* of the family shit, because, well DUH, it's not my responsibility. Imagine that.

SO in articulating this to him, an image came to me that just completely described what it was like, so here it is.

I feel like I am sorting laundry (which I am not, but should be, but screw that, whatever) and come across this sock that isn't mine. The old me would think, "welllll.... I'll just roll it up and put it away with my socks and take care of it until it's owner reveals itself. Poor little sock. I wonder how it got lost. I hope its owner has some other socks they can wear... blah blah blechy blah" The NEW me says, "Oh!! That's not my SOCK!" and tosses it away. It is simply not mine. And if somebody needs the sock, they can go find it and roll it up with its partner and wear it every damn day if they want to. Not my sock.

I tell you what-- these socks have changed my life. Something comes up that isn't my concern (usually transmitted straight to DC from the East side of Atlanta, oddly enough)? Not my sock. Things I totally didn't cause, can't control, and won't cure? Not my sock. Girl at work forgets her umbrella and has to walk to her car after her shift? Not my sock. The only socks I am going to own are mine, and that's that. And really, when I dump all of the socks that aren't mine, I don't have too many, which is nice!

Anyway, it's working pretty well for me.

2 comments:

Miss Demon Seed said...

So how much do I owe you for the session. I have been working on things lately and this is just what I needed. It is right on the money. Hmmm, not my sock huh. I bet my life will be a lot less cluttered very soon with all the socks gone!

Love you big!

Tasty said...

My new motto: Not my sock. I love you.